Saturday 8 August 2015

Why I Have Not Been On The Heath

"You banged on about Harriet Harman, Patricia Hewitt and the Paedophile Information Exchange for years. You got yourself banned from everything from The Spectator to Harry's Place for writing what everyone in the media had always known, but which the Daily Mail eventually dug up in order to sit on the story of Patrick Rock."

Yes. Yes, I did. And what good did it do? To this day, almost no one has ever heard of Patrick Rock. Meanwhile, Harman has got away with it completely. Her DBE is in the bag, and there is serious talk of the Speakership.

Everyone knows. Not just everyone who is anyone, but everyone at all. Yet no one ever mentions it. It is just like old times for me.

The fact that Hewitt took over Greville Janner's seat, before being succeeded at her own instigation and insistence by Liz Kendall, is only ever mentioned on this site.

I have always placed this whole business in its political context, the takeover of the Labour Party by what was and is in fact the most extreme ideology of the libertarian Right, which was at that time also advocating and practising the abolition of the age of consent, as the antics of the circle with which Margaret Thatcher consciously surrounded herself make only too abundantly clear.

Heath himself was always regarded as a figure of his party's Right in his day, and his unexpected victory in 1970 was on a thoroughly proto-Thatcherite programme, which he went no small way to implementing during a Premiership that is wilfully misrepresented by almost everyone.

"The Seventies", as we are now coming to think of them, certainly did not begin in 1974.

Those were, and are, the things that interested me about all of this. But they would appear to be of interest to absolutely nobody else.

So I am keeping an eye on it all. But I do wonder what the point is. I see very little chance that anything will ever come of it.

Harriet Harman still has another stint at Prime Minister's Questions to do yet, when David Cameron will heap fulsome praise on her and everyone else will wave their Order Papers as if nothing were remotely amiss.

What is the point?

6 comments:

  1. I don't like Harriet Harman much, but she did nothing wrong. I would happily allow any group to affiliate to Liberty.

    As for Heath, I see no case against him. The whole idea of historic accusations of sex offences is ludicrous - there should be a statute of limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did you get booted out of Collingwood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't. It is still posting me payslips.

      It remains named on my University staff card, which will be valid for years yet and automatically renewable thereafter, presumably until I die.

      Seeing me hobbling about, as is now my wont, the Principal shook me warmly by the hand at a recent funeral.

      Honestly, you are the worst journalist that I have ever come across.

      Delete
  3. What is the point of this blog if you are intent on criticising the party that you tried so hard to rejoin? David, please delete this blog, it's actually beginning to cause me harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not trying to rejoin anything. Or to re-join anything, come to that.

      Delete