Thursday 23 January 2014

Sale and Return

The all-local, mostly municipal shortlist for the safe seat of Wythenshawe and Sale East is a splendid bloody nose for those who had been planning to parachute in Euan Blair.

On this, at least, the Labour Party's fifth column of Blairite, and therefore pro-Cameron, pro-Coalition and anti-Miliband, staffers is well and truly under the control of an NEC Sub-Committee with, as it goes, more than one of my friends on it.

I did try and talk several of my other friends, worthy successors to Paul Goggins, into giving it a go. But the timetable was a bit tight, and there is not necessarily anything wrong with that.

John Battle's niece has made it through, which is more than promising. As has the man who ran the splendid campaign against loan sharks at Movement for Change, of which I am a member.

I do not know very much about the others. Apart from the fact that they have come up through the Labour Movement in the area. And that will do nicely.

In which spirit, having wound up in the Number One Club in relation to a funeral on Tuesday, I have just about recovered from the sight of women at the bar there. It had been a long time between drinks.

But I might take slightly longer to process the fact that one of the political godfathers of the Consett Irish was introducing me as, "the man who should have been our MP."

I had thought that I had become a forgotten cripple. But perhaps I have become only one of those things?

7 comments:

  1. the Labour Party's fifth column of Blairite, and therefore pro-Cameron, pro-Coalition and anti-Miliband, staffers

    Whoever could you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the subject of Labour- im pleasantly surprised to see Owen Jones siding with Will Self, Russell Brand (and by implication Peter Hitchens) against David Blunkett's strange claim that telling British people not to vote is a "disgrace".

    As Owen Jones writes , if the Westminster elite refuse to represent us, why on Earth should we give any of them our vote ?

    I personally would never vote for any party that did not have a policy commitment to restore selection by academic ability, punish crime, leave the European Union, end mass immigration and cut taxes, particularly on the working and middle classes.

    As Peter Hitchens (and now Owen Jones) say, we don't take holidays to destinations we don't like, buy products we don't want or seek out a useless unqualified amateur to perform a vital knee operation.

    We don't deliberately seek out the most useless lawyer we can find to defend us against a lawsuit.

    So why on Earth would any of us deliberately vote for parties we despise?

    Russell Brand and Peter Hitchens at least agree on something-and this time they're both right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owen is an active member of the Labour Party who will be campaigning for it next year, and indeed this year.

    Funny that you should mention him under this post, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read his article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have.

    And I know that I am right about Owen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was talking about his article.

    ReplyDelete